When you’re counting the breweries in Athens County and along the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway, don’t forget to include Multiple Brewing in Nelsonville. It’s by far the smallest of the four operations in the county, but it punches way above its weight.
Multiple’s name is rooted in co-owner Michelle Warren’s love of math. And it all adds up in the way they name their brews. There’s Horizontal Habanero IPA, Variance Porter “Coconut”, Baily’s Platonic Pale Ale, and Experimental Cheese Hazy IPA (well, that one doesn’t have a specific math reference, hence the ‘Experimental’ in the name, Michelle explained).
(Baily’s Platonic also is a tribute to the brewery’s official pooch, a year-old great Dane mix named Baily who enthusiastically greets visitors at the door.)
During an Ohio Brew Week visit, we talked to Jason and Michelle Warren about their beers and their strategy. The prime driver of their business is distributing beer north toward Columbus. The Nelsonville space they occupy is small and without pretension, but the Warrens are quick to make visitors feel right at home. And if they don’t succeed, it’s tough to resist Baily.
And the beer is good. Really good. We weren’t sure exactly what to expect from this nanobrewery, but we enjoyed each of the four beers we sampled, and were particularly smitten with the Habanero IPA, which had the perfect amount of sizzle to make it interesting yet still refreshingly drinkable.
While they currently live in the Columbus area, Jason Warren has roots in Athens County, having grown up in Albany. His grandparents once owned the Dairy Queen in Nelsonville.
During our Brew Week visit, we were looking for a place to have lunch before we rode back to Athens. Jason suggested a nearby Mexican restaurant, Los Mariachis, which he said had surprisingly great chile rellenos.
He was right. The food was solid, and instead of the Gringo-style deep-fried rellenos common in the States, Mariachis serves them the way they’re eaten in Mexico. No breading. No deep frier. Just amazing chile and meat and cheese.
If you want to eat while sampling the brews, you’re welcome to bring in food or have it delivered.
Multiple Brewing is only a few blocks from the western terminus of the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway. If you’re heading there from Athens, you’ll ride through the campus of Hocking College and follow the train tracks to the Rocky Boots store. Cross West Canal Street to Public Square and then turn left at West Washington, which is the northern border of Public Square. Check out our guide to the ride: Ohio’s Best-Kept Bikeway Secret.
Multiple Brewing in Nelsonville, Ohio
- Fascinating fact: Multiple owner Jason Warren did his homework when starting his brewery, asking people what beers they like. Bud Light was a frequent response, prompting him to focus on light beers and light hops. But when it came time to drink, customers craved porters and stouts, prompting the brewery to plan an expansion of its offerings.
- Beer tip: Multiple has four taps. And with generous 6-7-oz pours, sharing a flight ($7) is our recommendation.
- Food: none on the premises, but you are welcome to bring food in, or have it delivered. There are options, such as pizza and Mexican, within a block or two.
- Address: 82 W. Washington St., Nelsonville
- Hours: Friday, 4 p.m.-9 p.m., Saturday, noon-9 p.m., Sunday, noon- 7 p.m.
- Connections: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.